Tuesday, October 27, 2015

31 Days of Horror! Part One!

Can the wordy intro, we've got a lot of ground to cover.  My girlfriend and I are watching a horror film every night of October.  Here's the list and a three sentence review. 

October 1st.  Banshee Chapter
Creepy as hell movie involving drugs, government tests, number stations, and a character based off of Hunter S. Thompson.  First movie we watched this month, and in my opinion, the best so far.  It's low budget, and directed by that guy who played Spock in the crappy J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies.

October 2nd. The Babadook
Also good, creepy, and enjoyable, although I thought the ending was weird at first.  Once I read up on it a little though and realized what it actually signified, it went from weird to cheesy.  Not an awful film by any means, but not as great as a lot of people give it credit for.

October 3rd. Oculus
The most distracting part of this movie was watching Amy Pond fake an American accent.  The second most distracting part of this movie was Starbuck being Amy's mom.  It's worth a watch though, even if you don't drool over Amy Pond and Starbuck like a geeky fanboy.

October 4th.  Re-Animator
First of all, Jeffery Combs is awesome, and if you don't agree, you suck.  Second, if you're a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan, don't expect this to be anything like the book... well... maybe a little... but there are definitely parts I don't remember reading.  Third, this movie has some great, over the top absurdity involving naked corpses and a zombie cat.

October 5th.  Feeding the Masses
This movie is terrible.  This movie is terrible.  I got it on sale when Blockbuster was clearancing out their old movies.

October 6th.  Hellraiser
This movie hit really close to home... (not really).  Pinhead is definitely one of the best horror villains though, and I absolutely loved seeing Andrew Robinson in his prime.  It's refreshing seeing a horror movie villain from that time who a.) isn't a mute, b.) isn't someone's retarded child, c.) has a better shtick than aimlessly following someone around with a knife/hatchet/machete until they trip over something and get killed.

October 7th.  The House at the End of Time
This is definitely one of the happy surprises on the list, as we pretty much just picked it at random without knowing anything about it (we didn't even know it was entirely in Spanish).  I don't want to give away too much, but I will say at the end, I was thinking that it could have very easily been a science fiction plot.  I'm left wondering if the TARDIS might have been parked outside the house, just out of range of the camera.

October 8th.  Hellbound: Hellraiser II
I enjoyed delving a little deeper into the Hellraiser mythos, although, to be honest, I fell asleep watching this one.  It was good, I was just tired.  I saw it a couple of years ago though and I remember wanting to see more of the creepy, hellish dimension that Pinhead calls home.

October 9th.   Nightmare on Elm Street
Ok, confession- I fell asleep on this one too, which is kind of funny given the subject matter.  I should go back and finish it at some point, but I think that Simpsons episode probably summed it up enough.  It was nice seeing what all the fuss was about though.

October 10th.  Let the Right One In
Children are already creepy... especially vampire children.... but the pale boy was somehow creepier.  I'm sure there's some weird subtext buried in this movie about the onset of puberty or something- I don't know.  Get that damn kid a tissue though, seriously.  

That sums it up for now.  Part Two will be out before Halloween and Part Three will probably be out November first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment